Our pledge of allegiance of recitation, interpretation of the Qur’an wonders, and memorizing it is an extraordinary sign of a great relationship with the Qur’an.
One of the desirable things in reciting the Holy Qur’an is the improvement of the sound which is perfectly emphasized by the Holy Qur’an.
Thus, whenever the beautiful sound accompanied the recitation with rules of tajweed, it will be more reassuring, touching, and comfortable of the heart.
Why it’s important
The core of developing a reciter’s sound is to learn the rules of tajweed and master them as reciting Qur’an is about the accuracy in pronunciation more than just focusing on the beauty of voice and rhythm.
Since this accuracy delivers the exact message of the words of the Almighty, Allah.
Therefore, the scholars advise a reciter who has not mastered the rules of Tajweed to concentrate on accurate recitation more important than reading with a beautiful tone.
Once the reciter mastered the tajweed rules, then he could seek out for a mentor to learn the science of Maqamat _the tunes of recitation.
This is a specialized science, where the reciter learns various rhythms, tunes, and methods of beautifying recitation, which undoubtedly helps improve the reader’s sound.
How to Recite Quran; The Rules
Sharia texts have shown that improving the voice by reading the Qur’an is a desirable requirement. Here are some pieces of evidence from Qur’an and Sunnah:
- The Almighty, Allah said in Qur’an,
- “Or a little more; and recite the Qur’an in slow, measured rhythmic tones.”
- Abu Musa Al-Ash’ari (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) said to him
- “You have been given a Mizmar (sweet melodious voice) out of the Mazamir of Prophet Dawud (David).” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].
- Abu Lubabah Bashir bin ‘Abdul-Mundhir (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said,
- “He who does not recite the Qur’an in a pleasant tone is not of us.” [Abu Dawud].
- It was narrated from Abu Hurairah that: He heard the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) say:
- “Allah never listens to anything as He listens to a Prophet with a beautiful voice chanting the Quran aloud.”
- It was narrated that Abu Bara’ said:
- “The Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) said: “Make your voices beautiful when you recite Quran.'”
All Muslims wish to memorize the Quran and recite it with a delicate and sweet voice.
But we do not have this beautiful voice and deep breath in reading. So we wonder about the methods and exercises to gain a beautiful sound in reading the Quran.
Intending to achieve that goal, we advise you, dear reciter, of some methods and techniques which could help you develop your recitation and obtain a beautiful voice.
9 Tips to improve your tone while reciting Qur’an:
- Record your voice: Record your voice and listen to it.
- Try more than one tone and in more ways and different layers.
- You need to train your sound continuously.
- Considering that the potential of the voice is essential to accomplish what you require. Reducing and raising your sound is a good exercise in which you can control your ability to diversify power.
- Also, rhetoric training can help you become marvelous in controlling the layers of sound and tightly control the sultriness that accompanies some reciters.
- Speak fast: The average human’s normal speech equals about 90 words per minute. Try to reach this rate.
- Give each letter its right: read the characters clearly and practice difficult words, especially those that involve letters of Tafhkeem, which are.
- Let your voice associate with the senses of words.
- The consistency of your voice with the meanings of words and their connotations offers you have an exceptional style on the recitation of the Qur’an, and your performance will become prominent over time.
- Train your breath: Take advantage of the breathing law and your vocal abilities, for everyone has extraordinary potential.
- You could practice by taking a deep breath from the nose.
- This gives you astounding energy in strength and in controlling your voice layers.
- Pronounce letters from their exact point of articulation (Makhraj):
- Each letter must pronounce from its Makhraj. And the reading must be from the mouth except for the letters accompanied by the Ghunnah.
- If the reciter pronounces the letters from an inaccurate Makhraj, he will not be able to recite Qur’an with tajweed.
- Ask those close to you if they have noticed any annoying stuttering in your voice.
- It is best to search for it on your own.
- Raise your attention to your voice. You may be surprised by what you hear.
- Take good care of your voice and throat: the sound also needs rest and moisturizing.
- Drinking warm water sweetened with honey will lead to vital effects.
Some pieces of advice help you lengthen your breath:
- The practice of breathing exercises would give you a long, uninterrupted breath.
- One of these exercises is sitting in a good posture_ yoga posture, preferably in a place rich in the fresh air such as sitting in a garden or sitting in front of the sea.
- You should relax all your muscles and focus as much as possible in taking a deep inhale from your nose.
- With an invisible count that does not accompany the movement of the mouth or speech_ until you feel that your lungs have been filled with air.
- Then, keep this air as much as possible to the extent that you cannot continue to hold your breath.
- Then, breathe it out slowly from the mouth.
- It is advised when you practice this exercise for the first time that the breath reaches up to four movements and on the second day six movement.
- And so on every time until you can inhale a much amount of air and hold it as long as possible.
- Do exercises that improve the air inhalation in large quantities and thus prolong the breath.
- These exercises also, push large amounts of oxygen to the brain. Which helps increase the ability of understanding and memorizing.
To conclude, I should say that the most complicated dilemma to recite the Holy Qur’an beautifully is to learn the rules of tajweed accurately along with practicing to breath well.
Thus, conducting the proper pronunciation from the exact points of articulation in itself reflect a recitation including a tune.
Then, you might start to learn Maqamat science which will give you a noticeable beautiful impact on your voice.
Learn more about our Quran Courses here.